Sunday, 22 November 2015

Poltical Theatre Plays introduction


Play One

We read the first play that we will use in our performance this term. This was a play was based on the Seven Deadly Sins. The play was quite interesting due to the controversial subjects within it such as big companies taking over small companies and putting them out of business. I find this interesting because Britain is mainly a Protestant country, however there is a large variety of different religions. This stands out as the play write made the decision to base this play on Christianity and discuss it, rather than discussing other religions such as Islam. Unfortunately, there is a lot of racism that is bought up in the news towards them due to articles about terrorists, extremists and bombings. I also found it interesting that the play discusses the Seven Deadly Sins and links it to everyday life. I liked this play as it was quick paced, humorous and interesting. The concept was clever and enjoyable. However, at times it became rather confusing which meant that I lost interest in it. This play wasn’t as hard hitting as it could have been.

Play Two

The second play was called ‘The Price’ and was written by Lea Kitsopouloy and translated by Aliki Chapple. I found it much easier to follow and to enjoy due to the shocking themes which captivated the reader and kept us interested. I really enjoyed this play. The play was about two people at a supermarket who buying a child. They were talking about the child as if the child were merely an item rather than an actual human being. This was a shocking and grotesque concept to think about, however it really made me think about how we can relate the topics covered in the play to our own personal lives. The play also states how foreign children were cheaper, this is very controversial as it brings up theme s of racism. And suggests that foreign people could be seen to be a lower form of life. Moreover, it implies that disabled people are also a lower form of life. These issues to be very interesting and though provoking. I was cast as ‘Man’ in this play which I was happy about as I have monologues which talk about inequality and how unfair the system is. I began to think about how we can simply determine the value of a particular life then thought about parenthood and how some people are unable to have children, therefore they have to adopt instead. In America, it is extremely expensive to adopt a child, as it costs between $8,000 and $40,000. American citizens can be stripped of a parenting opportunity if they simply do not have the funds. This may bring up the question ‘Is adopting a child in America the same as buying a child?

Devised scenes

We are also devising scenes based around current issues which are classed as our own seven deadly sins. A topic for our scene was about benefit cuts. This is very unfair as they are less able to work and will not receive the support that they need. This sparks many creative ideas about how we could covey this issue in our piece and how we can show how unjust this problem is. I did some research on the topic and found out that in a survey, 79% agreed having disabled employees helps a company understand its disabled customers better. In addition, 45% of representatives who have not employed somebody with a learning disability were concerned it might be more difficult for members of public to deal with members of staff with a learning disability. This drops to 30% who have employed staff with a learning disability. There are just 7% of people with a learning disability in paid employment, compared to 46% of disabled people. It is clearly very difficult for people with learning difficulties to get a job, therefore it is very cruel to take away their benefits. There was another scene based around the question ‘Is anger the same as passion?’ This is very interesting as the two are very similar and there is often a very fine line between them. If someone is passionate about something, there are likely to defend it and become angry if someone offends the thing they are passionate about. Both emotions can lead to arguments or conflict. It is very debatable where the line is between the two emotions. A rant can be caused by both of them and often, passion will lead to anger. It is very debatable where the line is between the two emotions. A rant can be caused by both of them and often, passion will lead to anger.  The style of the performance is set out as a game show, this is very interesting as it relates to how TV and the media can misinterpret information or change it in order to make a story or interesting or entertaining. I feel like the play could go very well and I’m excited for it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment